APEC economy: New Zealand; Jurisdiction: New Zealand

Temporary practice ('fly-in, fly-out' practice)

Foreign lawyers may practise in New Zealand but must not provide legal services in the reserved areas set out in the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006.

The relevant legislation is sections 25 and 27(1)(b)(ii) of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006.

Limited licensing of foreign lawyers (foreign legal consultant rules)

New Zealand does not regulate foreign lawyers nor provide them with any type of licence to practise in New Zealand.

Full licensing

A foreign lawyer can obtain a certificate to practise New Zealand law in this jurisdiction after fulfilling certain requirements. The relevant legislation is the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006.

In order to obtain a full licence to practise New Zealand law in this jurisdiction, foreign lawyers must have his or her overseas qualifications assessed (see www.nzcle.org.nz), complete any requirements, obtain a certificate of character and certificate of completion, seek admission as a barrister and solicitor, and apply to the New Zealand Law Society for a practising certificate. Australian lawyers (those with current practising certificates) are able to seek registration (for admission and practising certificate) under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

Commercial association between lawyers and law firms

In this jurisdiction:

Other regulatory issues

In this jurisdiction:


Category Name Website or other contact details
Organisation(s) that controls licensing of lawyers New Zealand Law Society www.lawsociety.org.nz
Peak professional association representing the legal profession New Zealand Law Society www.lawsociety.org.nz
Other associations playing a significant role in developing policy for the legal profession The Ministry of Justice (incorporates Legal Services Agency, Lawyers Complaints Review Officer and Disciplinary Tribunal) www.justice.govt.nz
New Zealand Council of Legal Education www.nzcle.org.nz